Terminal 115Return to Map
All about Transportation
In 1971, the Port bought property for Terminal 115 from the Boeing Company, which had operated its first plant here from 1910 to 1936. Boeing's original Reb Barn was on the property. Once in Port hands, the location became a processing site for imported cars, with literally hundreds of thousands of autos moving through in the 1970s and 1980s. Until expansion at Terminals 5, 18 and 46, this terminal was the Port's largest marine facility.
The first ship Kastraki, arrived October 21, 1971.top of page
Cars await final assembly, 1974. top of page
In the 1980s, Terminal 115 also offered cold storage. The push for more container terminal space loomed and the Port transformed the terminal for container and general cargo operations in the 1990s. And in 1987, when the Museum of Flight moved to it's current location, the Port dedicated the Boeing Red Barn for exibition. Today, Terminal 115 is a 70-acre container terminal operated by Northland Services. Northland provides freight and transportation services for Alaska and Hawaii.
Terminal 115, 2008 Port of Seattle photo by Don Wilson.
During the development of Terminal 115 in 1971, the Port also added a public access viewpoint with 180 feet of shoreline. The Port maintains a fish and wildlife habitat here, as part of its Duwamish River clean-up efforts.
top of page